Walking is an activity enjoyed not only for its health benefits, but is also environmentally friendly and, for many, a necessary means of transportation to and from work. Everyday, millions of people take to the sidewalks and designated walking paths of our roadways, innocently travelling by foot to their destination. Unfortunately, even though pedestrians are granted the right-of-way in nearly every situation, thousands are injured or killed each year.According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) most recently published Traffic Safety Fact Sheet, an estimated 70,000 pedestrians were injured and over 5,300 were killed in vehicle-pedestrian collisions in 2015.
If you, or a loved one, have been injured in a vehicle-pedestrian accident you may be entitled to compensation for losses as well as for pain and suffering. The pedestrian accident attorneys at Action Legal Group understand the many complex issues victims and their loved ones face after a vehicle-pedestrian collision, and have years of experience in successfully handling pedestrian accident claims. If you, or a loved one, have been injured in a pedestrian accident, please call the attorneys at Action Legal Group today for a free consultation.
Contributing Factors of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents occur for many reasons, and, in most cases, are the result of the vehicle driver’s negligence. Among the factors contributing to a pedestrian accident include:
- Driving under the influence
- Failure to obey traffic signals or signs
- Failure to yield right-of-way to pedestrians
- Failure to look for or yield to a pedestrian in crosswalk when turning right
- Distracted driving, such as texting, use of cell phone, or any other activity which diverts the driver’s attention
- Failure to properly observe surroundings when backing up, such as exiting driveways or parking spaces
- Failure to obey federal, state or local regulations when operating any type of motorized vehicle
Types of Injuries Sustained in Pedestrian Accidents
As the list above illustrates, a pedestrian accident can occur for a variety of reasons, and the injuries sustained in these types of accidents can be just as varied. With absolutely no protection, the injuries sustained in a collision between a pedestrian and a vehicle are usually quite severe and almost always life changing, or can even be fatal. Among the most common types of injuries seen in pedestrian accidents are:
- Sprained or torn ligaments
- Broken bones
- Neck and back injuries
- Bruises, lacerations, cuts or abrasions
- Permanent disfigurement
- Internal injuries
- Loss of limbs or need for amputation
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury
If you, or a loved one, have been injured as a result of a pedestrian accident, it is critical you take the following steps to protect yourself and to preserve your legal rights:
- Seek medical attention immediately
- Obtain all medical records detailing your injuries
- Document your injuries thoroughly with photos and videos
- Document evidence related to your accident or injury, by taking photos or videos where the accident occurred and of any vehicles involved
- Get the names and contact information of anyone who may have witnessed the accident
- Seek legal advice immediately and before you speak with an insurance company representative
Pedestrian Accident Compensation
Regardless of the circumstances or cause of the pedestrian accident, or the type of injuries sustained, you must contact a pedestrian accident attorney as quickly as possible so that you may be fully and fairly compensated. The pedestrian accident attorneys at Action Legal Group have seen many types of pedestrian accidents and the devastating injuries that often result. We understand the long-term physical and financial consequences victims face, and we will diligently fight for the compensation and justice you deserve. The types of compensation you may be entitled to may include:
- Payment for current and future medical bills
- Rehabilitative physical therapy
- Loss of income during recovery or due to permanent inability to return to work
- Compensation for pain and suffering
Sadly, some pedestrian accidents result in death leaving loved ones emotionally traumatized, as well aswith an uncertain financial future. The pedestrian accident attorneys at Action Legal Group have successfully represented family members of victims of fatal pedestrian accidents, securing the justice and compensation they deserve.
Action Legal GroupCan Help You
If you, or a loved one, have been injured due to a pedestrian accident, please contact Action Legal Group today for a free, no-obligation and confidential consultation. We will review your case in detail, and advise you of your legal options.
A pedestrian accident can be life changing, leaving victims with long-term or permanent injuries, and an insecure financial outlook. The knowledgeable pedestrian accident attorneys at Action Legal Group will fight for you, to ensure you receive the justice and compensation you deserve. Please call Action Legal Group today. We can help you.